"Chip Carving Aquatic Animals" will take place in the mountains of Western North Carolina near Cullowhee, NC.
My home shop/studio is located about 50 minutes west of Asheville, NC.
Prerequisites: This is an Advanced level class for those who have mastered the fundamental skills required for producing basic chip carved projects.
Class size: Minimum: Four (4) students ; Maximum: Six (6) students
Duration: Four (4) Days
Cost: $300 plus $50 for prepared "roughouts" and the use other shop tools and materials
Registration and Payment: Call Bill Johnson at 828-226-6040 to register by phone
Deposit: $100 To be paid when registering by phone
Tools needed: Bring your preferred knives, layout and drawing tools and supplies (pencils, erasers, etc.) as space and regulations allow (i.e., if flying, check to be sure knives, compasses, etc. can be packed in checked bags - will not be allowed in carry-on bags). I have extras of everything to loan if needed.
Class Project: Yellow Tang (Photo at Top)
The class will cover all aspects of sculpting and embellishing aquatic animals with chip carved patterns and motifs
- Criteria for choosing a subject (fish, reptile, amphibian, etc.)
- Determining size, proportion, position, and mounting method
- Power carving and other methods of sculpting the subject to prepare it for chip carving
- Deciding on chip carved patterns and motifs and how they will be arranged
- Laying out chip carving patterns on concave, convex, and complex curved surfaces
- Applying gel stains, airbrushed acrylic paints, and final clear-coat finishes
If you have any comments or questions, please let me know
Mobile phone: 828-226-6040
email address: firstname.lastname@example.org