Beginner Level Chip Carving Class - July 15-16, 2017
A new Chip Carving Class, designed for beginners or those who want to "brush up" on fundamental skills, will take place at the Klingspor Woodworking Shop in Fletcher, NC (close to the Asheville Regional Airport). Registration is still open and there are 3 spaces remaining as of today. For details on the class, dates and times, and location of the class, please click on the News/Blog link at the top of this page.
Shows and Events
Artistry in Wood, Wilmington, OH (near Cincinnati), October 14-15, 2017
- This is the largest gathering of woodcarvers in the United States.
- The talent displayed by the several hundred woodcarvers who travel from all corners of the US to participate, is mind boggling.
- Hundreds (maybe thousands) of non-woodcarvers attend annually as well. They come to enjoy the beauty and diversity of artist talent. Some come to purchase woodcarvings for gifts and their own collections.
- Booth numbers are not been assigned ahead of time, but if you can make it, please ask at the front desk and come by to say hello.
- I'll have a couple of pieces entered in competition and many more available for purchase.
- Woodcarvers will also be interested in some new and unique products I've developed over the past couple of years.
Thank you to all of those who have already purchased the Ready-to-Carve 3D Illusion Pattern/Plate. I have plenty of the pre-printed plates in stock for those who may be thinking about it. I did have one question about "erasing the lines" once the carving is complete, prior to applying any finish. The answer is, the Tombow "Sanded Erasers" that are frequently used by chip carvers to remove pencil marks, also work on the pre-printed patterns. Also, since there are no sharp ridges in this pattern to maintain, you can VERY LIGHTLY sand (with sandpaper) if you run into a stubborn area. I would not start with anything more coarse than 220 grit - preferably use 320 or 400 grit.
The second and third items in the Ready-to-Carve line are Practice Boards. Photos and full descriptions will be posted soon, but here are the quick descriptions:
1) 4" x 12" x 3/8" Basswood board with pre-printed 4mm grid both sides of each board.
2) 4" x 12" x 3/8" Basswood board with pre-printed 4mm grid with border designs, free-form designs, rosettes, lettering, and other patterns commonly taught in Beginner & Intermediate level classes. The grid and patterns are printed on both sides of each board, as well.
3) Coming soon .................. well, I think I'll keep you wondering until the next Chip Carving News arrives.
As always, please feel free to use the Contact option in the menu above, or call me at 828-226-6040 with question, comments, and suggestions. Thank you!!